Monday, September 12, 2011

The Rest is Silence...

Well, my summer stint of Shakespeare in the Park ended on Labor Day, and I am now Shakespeare-less until October when PAE is doing Richard III. Very much looking forward to that.

In the meantime, I'm looking forward to getting my Tempest DVD (if I ever do... Amazon seems to doubt its release). In wandering through the Official Site I found clips of the music... strange. Very strange. And definitely more electric guitar / synthesized stuff than I'm positive I'm comfortable with. I'm still hoping it will all work together with the movie, and disparate pieces will make a powerful whole... but I'm also steeling myself for something... weird.

All this conjecture makes me wonder why everyone decides to do certain plays at the same time. In the last two years I have seen three live productions of the Tempest. Add the movie to that, and I think it's time to let the play rest for a while. I saw two separate productions of All's Well That Ends Well this summer, one in Pennsylvania and one here. In the spring, PSU did Hamlet; this winter, NWCTC is doing Hamlet... and next summer PAE is doing it also. I realize there are a finite number of plays (and an even more finite number of crowd-pleasers among that group), but it's not that finite a number. And the odd ones come up multiple times as often as the better known ones. NWCTC did Cymbeline last year, and in February PCS is doing it.

Maybe it's just a side-effect of stalking Shakespeare. I don't suppose it affects your average play-goer as much as it does someone who is committed to seeing as much Shakespeare as she possibly can. But I do still wonder how these things all seem to happen at the same time (relatively speaking).

Well... as soon as Amazon decides that the DVD of the Tempest really ought to be released sometime close to the Blu-Ray release (I'm so confused!), I'll post my full review. And then I hope to let this particular play rest for a while. Till then!

No comments:

Post a Comment